The EarthBox Grow – Review
The Bottom Line
- More productive than conventional container gardening
- Easy to set up and use
- Great design
- Environmentally friendly
- Organic “replant kit,” is expensive
- Large self-watering container for growing vegetables and herbs
- Earthbox dimensions: 29″L x 14″W x 11″H
- Holds up to three gallons of water in reservoir
- Holds two cubic feet of potting soil
- Made of food-safe, UV stabilized, re-cyclable plastic
- Available with organic or conventional fertilizer
- Allows plants to get a continuous and even supply of water
- After initial fertilizer application, no additional food is needed
- Soil cover prevents over-watering of plants
The Ultimate Gardening System!
The Earthbox system has several advantages over conventional gardening, and one of the most important is that because your soil is covered, it is impossible to over-water your plants – which is probably the single biggest reason most container gardeners fail. It doesn’t matter if you have a rainy summer or a dry one, if you consistently fill up the Earthbox reservoir, your plants will get the right amount moisture.
The Earthbox is incredibly simple to assemble – it takes about 15 minutes to put the whole thing together, and planting it is a piece of cake. You can get wheels for your Earthbox, which is a great idea if you want to move it around, because once these boxes are planted and filled with water, they weigh around 80 pounds.
The Earthbox comes with detailed instructions for assembly, including a diagram with suggestions of how many vegetables you should plant per box. While you can grow almost any plant in an Earthbox, my advice is to follow these instructions closely! While it is tempting to grow more plants than recommended, it really is counter productive. The Earthbox is based on years of research and if the instructions say to plant only two tomatoes (which they do), grow two tomatoes, because the box and fertilizer recommendations were designed to provide nutrition and water for two plants, and those two will get huge and produce like crazy.